Monday, May 2, 2011

Racist Remark

I just learned that someone wrote the N word on a picture of my hero, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,  in the Law School Library. I will not stand silently and let this pass. Too many times have I seen racist remarks like this and the only correct thing to do is to respond. We need to show that racists are not in charge of our school and we need to put whoever did this on the defensive and let them know that they are in a small dangerous minority. 

I would like to issue a joint statement by all who would help stand up to this latest instance of ignorance. I am including some quotes that I hope will help guide us. I am very upset at the moment, and will need some time to think this through, but I would appreciate your help and guidance.


“Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies - or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr. 

 One thing is clear, we must respond.


“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


“One who condones evils is just as guilty as the one who perpetrates it.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


“The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

I appreciate your thoughts and insights, as well as your help. Whatever it takes, I will devote my time to ending this racist attack.
 In solidarity,
Reuben

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rhythm N' Rights

Rhythm N' Rights Survey